Dodge for Diabetes: NEW! Coed Adult Dodgeball Tournament
Join Saco Parks and Recreation on Saturday, October 30th for our first ever Co-ed Adult Dodgeball Tournament to raise money for the Pediatric Diabetes Fund at Barbara Bush Children’s Hospital!
November is National Diabetes Awareness Month and SPR is looking to kick it off by putting the FUN in fundraiser! This new event for adults is focused on promoting diabetes awareness in our community. Diabetes is a condition that results from insufficient production of insulin, causing high blood sugar. 1 in 10 Americans currently have a form of diabetes. While Type 2 can often be managed with diet and exercise, there is currently no cure for Type 1, also commonly known as juvenile diabetes.
Proceeds from this tournament will benefit the Barbara Bush Children’s Hospital (BBCH) in Portland, ME. BBCH is Maine’s only fully accredited children’s hospital and treats 100,00 patients each year. Their endocrinology and diabetes program is the only pediatric American Diabetes Association Educational Recognized Program in Maine.
Register a team today and enjoy some old-school dodgeball with your friends while helping SPR support National Diabetes Awareness Month!
Dodgeball Tournament Event Details
• SPR Staff: Meghan Gribbin
• Date: Saturday, October 30th 2021
• Time: 9:00am-Tournament end
• Where: Saco Community Center Gymnasium
• Who: adults 18 and over
• Registration Fee: $100.00 per team. Open to residents and non-residents.
• Team format: minimum 6 players, maximum 10 players. Please identify a team captain and a team name. Individual players can register and be assigned to a team - email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Tournament format: determined by the number of participating teams.
• Team Registration Deadline: 10/25/21 - Tournament requires a minimum of 4 registered teams to take place.
• Food: Please bring your own lunch and a lunch for your child if using the childcare program. Healthy snacks and water will be available throughout the day.
• Childcare for ages 5-12 will be available onsite for an additional fee of $7.00. Staff from the SPR School’s Out program will be on-site to watch children and run activities while their parent(s) participate in the tournament. Parent must be present in the building at all times. Requires a minimum of 4 participants to run; max of 20.
Tournament Winners: in addition to holding bragging rights as the best dodgeball team in Saco, tournament winners will receive a team trophy and share a prize basket featuring gift certificates from local businesses. Finally, SPR will order t-shirts for the winning team to showcase their victory all year long!
Costume Contest: in the spirit of Halloween, we would like to invite participating teams to wear costumes and will recognize one team with an award in the Best Dressed category.
COVID-19 Prevention Protocols
Any guidelines listed below are subject to change following state guidelines at the time of the event:
1. Participants will utilize hand sanitizer at check-in before joining the event and before beginning each game.
2. Masks are required at all times for participants, staff, spectators, and children in the childcare program including during instruction and games.
3. Any shared equipment will be cleaned and sanitized between games.
4. Please do not attend the event if you are sick.
5. In the event of a cancellation, teams will be contacted with options to either receive a refund or donate their team registration fee.